Building a Better Wardrobe
A guide to looking your best.
By Aonika Laurent Thomas
Style is ever evolving and so are we. How do you know that it’s time to switch up your wardrobe game? So many variables come into play. Weight loss or gain, new job, or a new role in life, and trend shifts. The largest part of building a better wardrobe is having garments that you can wear now and far into the future. Spending money on a few good staples will not only elevate your look, but sustain the test of time. Think of this as the glue that holds the wardrobe together.
I put together a checklist of staples to invest in.
- Suit– A well tailored suit is a must. You’re the boss? Look like it. From the boardroom to the PTA it’s a winner.
- LBD– every woman should have a little black dress in her closet. It’s classic, flattering, and a perfect base for accessories. The LBD can be worn everywhere from a cocktail party to a wedding.
- Blazer– Smarten up a pair of jeans or have it on standby for a last minute office meeting.
- Dark blue jeans– A must. Not just any denim. Invest in a pair that fits well. If it’s in your budget, get a second pair. I love having a cropped pair as well as regular length. This makes the shoe choice a cinch.
- Slacks– invest in tailored slacks both white and black.
- Trench coat– maybe I love a woman with a little mystery and a trench certainly adds some. Over your favorite Agent Provocateur, a casual outfit or dressed up, this versatile coat can be worn year round for an extra touch of class.
- Denim jacket– Cool, comfortable, and compatible with most outfits. Chinos, jeans, maxi and midi-dresses with sneakers or pumps.
- Leather jacket– adds a little edge and elevation to any feminine piece.
- Classic white shirt- timeless, traditional, versatile, and perfect.
- Pumps– nude, black, and white. Invest in a good pair that you can walk in. It doesn’t make sense to spend good money on a shoe that you can only wear to sit. Especially when most brands have 3 height heel options.
- White leather sneakers– crisp creeps are essential to the rotation. It doesn’t matter what’s going on above the ankle, you can add style while you’re really going for comfort.
- Boots– A leather ankle boot is perfect year round.
- Fly flats– Invest in a beautiful pair of flats. Let’s be honest, high heels all day long is torture. Invest in flats that will dress up denim, compliment a sheath, or elevate leggings and sweater.
- Platforms-take your look to new heights without losing comfort.
- Classic bag– a classic tote will carry you to all occasions
- Elegant hoops-choose a pair of hoops that aren’t over the top. Simple gold or diamonds.
- Statement watch-invest in a timeless timepiece that won’t loose its value. Do your homework and by all means don’t get a watch you will grow tired of.
Shop the classics here:
Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.
Great options for anyone to up their wardrobe/game! Giving an explanation behind why the items suggested are essential. Also, the information can be utilized by a variety of individuals especially those of us with disabilities, financial concerns, huge feet, long arms, etc.
Thank you as I will always look to see what’s being shared on the style fashion page.
Thanks for providing the information on better wardrobes. Wardrobes are very essential for putting the clothes. This article is very helpful. Thanks for sharing.
More like this