Key Pieces Every Gentleman Needs in His Closet
Gentleman's guide to a stylish wardrobe
by Aonika Laurent Thomas
ZZ Top had it right: “Every girl crazy ’bout a sharp dressed man.” I give the same advice to men as to women — it matters how you present yourself. Changing trends can add some confusion but the characteristics of a well-dressed man remain classic. Here are some key pieces that should be a constant in your closet.
- Tailored dark suit — This will take you everywhere: evenings out with the boss, events, travel, weddings, and dates. Invest in a classic two-button dark suit and by all means have it tailored. Check out the classic quiet brands like Hickey Freeman, Theory, and Hugo Boss. J. Crew has a more budget-friendly gorgeous Ludlow suit collection. If you’re splurging, go for Tom Ford.
- White dress shirt — You won’t go wrong with a crisp white dress shirt. With a suit, blazer, or sweater for a more casual look or with a pair of straight leg jeans and a belt. Tip: A shirt worn tucked should reach the bottom of the butt or just below. If you plan to wear it untucked, it should come to the center-bottom of the butt, or the bottom of the shirttail should skim the ends of your sleeves if you are standing upright.
- Chambray shirt — It’s the new neutral. You can wear it with anything anytime.
- Navy chino trousers — If you need to elevate from denim, try a slim chino with dress shirt, T-shirt, sweater — the possibilities are endless.
- Casual chino — Please, get a pair that fits. This is another classic, a great staple that can take you from date night to breakfast the morning after.
- Quality white T-shirts — Invest in good-quality cotton T-shirts. They will keep their shape longer and look better than the cheapies. You’ll wear this with everything. Notice a trend here?
- Indigo straight leg jeans — Straight leg jeans are the same size through the leg of the pant, giving a more classic look. Effortless, comfortable, and stylish.
- Three key belts —
- a) Dress belt — Don’t leave your trousers hanging! Try a reversible leather dress belt in black and brown.
- b) Casual belt — Look for something durable that can be worn with jeans, shorts, and pants.
- c) Hip belt — braided, woven, it doesn’t matter something that shows some personalit
- Chukka boots — Leather or suede, these ankle-high boots are the most versatile shoes in the stylish man’s closet. Invest well
- Cool sneakers — When in doubt, white Air Force 1’s
- Loafers – A timeless classic. Easy to slip in and out of for the busy man on the go who prizes comfort and style. Penny, horsebit, tasseled, leather or suede it all works.
- Wing Tip Brogues – the dressiest shoe in the stylish mans closet. Go from average to exceptional in a pair of these. Elevates an ordinary suit and smartens up a pair of jeans. Want the best? I knew you would. Try brands like Church’s, To Boot New York and Officine Creative.
- Peacoat — The peacoat is one of the sexiest garments in the gentleman’s closet. Don’t believe me? Google Idris Elba. I’ll wait. He can hang a peacoat! Originated as a British-designed military coat to keep sailors warm at sea. Double breasted, wool, high collar, slash pocket, and short length. Traditionally in dark navy, you can find this classic in black, grey, and camel for 2018.
Dress watch — An elegant timepiece is essential. Depending on your budget you could choose from Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Cartier, and Rolex, or slide on an Omega Seamaster to TAG Heuer Monaco. Tip: Ask your grandfather for his and save some money.